Saturday, August 2, 2008

AP Summer Session #3: Translations

The third and penultimate AP English Literature and Composition summer session will be held on Monday, August 4 from eight am to lunch in room 2207 at Gloucester High School.

Please email me to tell me you're coming or to explain the dire circumstances that will keep you away.

Click here for the "before reading," "while reading," and "after reading" notes for Translations. These notes are also available on the blog. (Depending on what I learn by reading the rest of your WSS responses and what I learn during Monday's session I may alter the "after reading" prompts but rest assured that one response will be analytical and the other will allow you to put a more personal spin on the issues of identity, family, culture, and "translation".)

You'll see, I think, when you read the notes that over the course of the summer we've been building a substantial understanding of the relationship between, on the one hand, the self and identity and, on the other hand, the effect that one's surrounding have on one's development of self and identity.

The play is a pretty quick read--and the play was designed to be part exploration of identity and culture and part entertaining loving story--so even if you have not begun reading it I expect that you will have read it by Monday. (If you have any problems let me know before Monday.)

No comments: